Cherish Chinatown Spring Cleanup
- Family Events
- Tufts Student, Faculty & Staff
Over 100 Tufts University students, faculty, and staff join together at our annual Cherish Chinatown neighborhood cleanup. Volunteers pick up trash, plant flowers, and organize supply rooms at local nonprofits—all while learning about the history of the neighborhood and ways to get more involved with our Chinatown community partners.
In 2022, we were joined by Boston's Mayors Office of Civic Organizing, Josiah Quincy Elementary School, Asian Community Development Corporation, and Asian American Civic Association's Buds and Blossoms.
Please sign up to join us this year. The 3rd annual cleanup will take place on May 10 from 12:30-3:30 p.m.
Cherish Chinatown is a Tufts University initiative that was started in spring 2021 by dental and medical students with support from the Office of Government and Community Relations and Tisch College.
The aim of this initiative is to:
- Educate Tufts students and employees about the history and cultural importance of Boston’s Chinatown.
- Organize community engagement opportunities that support Chinatown residents, small businesses, and non-profit organizations in conjunction with Chinatown leaders.
This is a GREAT opportunity for Tufts students, faculty, and staff to learn more about our role as both providers and neighbors within Chinatown, and to serve our resident community with intent.
Please join us by signing up for a shift in the link above. We will have a Tufts University welcome table on the day of the clean-up where volunteers will be provided with clean-up materials, directions, and snacks from local Chinatown bakeries. As we get closer to the date, we will email you with more information regarding the exact clean-up meeting location, time to arrive, and other helpful logistics for the day.
2022 Student Leaders
- Alec Chang (M25)
- Ainsley Chung (D25)
- Hannah Culver (PA24)
- Shawn DiTommaso (MPH 24)
- Colette Fritsche (M25)
- Hansuh Hugh Lee (M25)
- Yan Lin (D23)
- Pariya Nafari Mehr (D25)
- Corey Mullins (MPH 22)
- Briana Nanton (MBS 24)
- Fengjun "Pierce" Shen (D25)
- Fiona Stevenson (PA24)
- Maya Sunar (D24)
- Venus Tran (D24)
- Esther Yi (D25)
- Gregory Yip (D25)
- Jennifer Greer-Morrissey, Civic Life Manager Health Sciences Campus
- Awes Hassan, Tufts University School of Medicine and Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy Civic Life Coordinator
- Nancy Marks, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine Civic Life Coordinator
- Liza Perry, Deputy Director of the Office of Government and Community Relations
- Lorena Leza, Staff Assistant, Government and Community Relations
- Tufts University's Boston Facilities Team
- Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
- Tufts University School of Medicine
- Tisch College of Civic Life
- Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy